Just my thoughts...

Just my thoughts...
The randomness that is I

Monday, March 18, 2013

30 Days of Days: Day 8 - The Day You Realized What You Wanted to Do/Be


Well anyone that knew me in high school knew I was a Home Ec fanatic.  Every type of class that was offered, I took it. Cooking, sewing, parenting, anything that had anything to do with any of those, I was there.

My junior year I took Commercial Foods at the local vocational school because I truly thought I wanted to go into catering.  Well, cooking on a large scale is A LOT different than just cooking dinner.  There are so many rules that have to be followed.  This has to be maintained at such and such degrees.  That can only sit our for x amount of minutes, etc.  Nothing like freestyling it at home. Not to mention that when we catered, we had to make so much extra in case the amount we prepared ran out or something happened to the original dish.

We also prepared all the food that was served in the cafe.  I learned fast that commercial foods was not for me (but not before participating a food fight! That was the most fun EVER, until clean-up).

It has taken years for me to learn how to scale down the amount of food I cook and sometimes my kids still look at me crazy on day 3 of leftovers.

I ended up going to a business college and getting my A.A.S. and became a secretary.  I'm pretty darn good at it, but I think I'm heading toward phase 3 in my life and looking for something different.


The desire to learn more about cake decorating did stick with me, so perhaps I'll pursue that...

2 comments:

Thee_Kween said...

Learning new things every day about you guys...nice.

Reggie said...

There are days that I want to open a restuarant and cook for folks, but I wonder....would I have staying power? Would I want to always do that?!? Nah, I don't think so.