Just my thoughts...

Just my thoughts...
The randomness that is I

Thursday, December 1, 2011

World AIDS Day 2011


Know your status.

If you have the opportunity, read the stories of two AIDS activists living with AIDS.

Educated, attractive, assertive and ambitious are just a few of the words used to describe Rae Lewis-Thornton. In 1986, during a routine blood drive visit at a Washington D.C. Red Cross, Rae received news of another word that would soon be used to describe her health and future. At the tender age of 23, Rae Lewis-Thornton was diagnosed HIV Positive.

I vividly remember when I first learned of Rae. She was on the cover of Essence magazine. I never forgot her name and I never forgot her story.


She and others like her have played a HUGE part of how I accepted and share my journey with kidney disease.

Rae's got a blog Rae Lewis-Thornton
you can follow her on Twitter @raelt and she's got a Facebook page.

The next young lady I remember at the age of six, being in the HIV/AIDS awareness video that Magic Johnson did back in the 80's, A Conversation with Magic Johnson” on Nickelodeon.


Hydeia was born with HIV, so she hasn't known any other life.

The world has seen her grow from a gifted little girl to a 26 year old woman with a passion and mission to make sure each and everyone of us is aware of our HIV status as well as the status of our sexual partners.

Hydeia has a site Hydeia Broadbent
she's also on Twitter @HydeiaBroadbent and Facebook.

No comments: